What is the “best” thing that can happen if you praise someone?
What is the “worst” thing that can happen to you if you praise someone?
Praising others around you is a way of getting back more than what you give away.
To answer the first question, in my opinion, the best thing that can happen to someone when praising another person in the “perfect” moment (timely) is to get aware that this “act of generosity” has influenced another person’s life positively. Even further, it could have changed it. You never know exactly what is going on in the other person’s mind and life when they are being praised.
What is the worst thing that can happen? Well, some indifference, no answer at all or a simple and neutral “thank you”. Are these things really so negative? Actually, there is no harm done. So, there is always a “win-win” situation when consciously praising others.
There are 5 characteristics that should always be considered when praising someone:
- Personal – among other things, this shows a genuine interest in the other person. This exposes the real motivation to praise.
- Appropriate – common sense is what describes this the best way. When, where, and how much praise is not defined by any arithmetical rule. Better too much, than none at all.
- Specific – always related to something the other person can identify and describe personally.
- Timely – Better sooner than later.
- Authentic – Be yourself when praising others. This is not an excuse for not praising; “Because I am not that type of person”. It means that the way of doing it is according to your own personal preferences.
Some leaders avoid praising coworkers because they are afraid that this person will change their attitude and reduce their effort. This can be easily influenced positively by challenging this person with new and greater objectives and goals.
I have had reports from participants during my training, that “praising” others has a great deal of influence in their professional activities but is even more important and decisive in their personal life. It is a way to give self-confidence to a young person and help them grow with it in the future.
So I invite you to praise someone today and share your experience with us.